Re: SPARQL* test suite

On 28/08/2020 10:37, Jeen Broekstra wrote:

> An agreed-upon set of generic test cases in manifest form would be
> useful, though I fully suspect that we will opening ourselves up to a
> lot of confusion and conflicting views, as most implementations seem
> to have very diverging ideas on what RDF*/SPARQL* is (or isn't). But
> perhaps that's all to the good :)

Yes, test cases should help define those views. One possible outcome is
an explicit split between those semantics, and that doesn't have to be a
bad thing.

I, for one, keep being unimpressed by the Turtle syntax, which ends up
becoming quite redundant because depending on the interpretation a
triple needs to be stated twice (once for the actual assertion and once
for the reifications). We are for now using a syntax such as

ex:subject ex:predicate ex:object [[
     ex:created "2010-10-10"^^xsd:date ;
]]

to state both at the same time, and this seems to work better. But in
the absence of any formal starting point (such as a respec spec and a
proper development process with regular meetings and bug tracker
tickets) I guess many implementations will just go with the original
syntax or diverge further. Maybe everyone here is waiting for Olaf to
take more control again, but that's not really his job or responsibility
and maybe it's time for the implementers to chose a chair, have a couple
of meetings and establish productive processes?

Holger