Re: RDF* semantics

Thomas,

On fredag 30 augusti 2019 kl. 19:03:16 CEST thomas lörtsch wrote:
> Am 30. August 2019 14:04:32 MESZ schrieb Olaf Hartig <olaf.hartig@liu.se>:
> > [...]
> >
> > <http://example.org/Alice>  rdf:type  foaf:Person .
> > <http://example.org/Alice>  foaf:name  "Alice" .
> > <http://example.org/Alice>  :claims  <http://example.org/Bob> .
> > <http://example.org/Bob>  rdf:type  foaf:Person .
> > <http://example.org/Bob>  foaf:name  "Bob" .
> > <http://example.org/Bob>  foaf:age "23"^^xsd:integer .
> >
> >Perhaps now it becomes more apparent that, according to this data,
> >person Alice claims the person Bob (who is of age 23). This is
> >different than saying that person Alice makes the following claim:
> >the thing denoted by IRI is a person named Bob who is of age 23.
>
> No, it's the same.

To me it's not the same.

> The situation may change when you want to describe
> Alice's claiming activity. Claiming something as such is no different from
> liking, being located in etc. You wouldn't insist on putting the objects of
> such statements in parentheses. Something like
>
>     ex:Alice ex:likes [ a foaf:Person; foaf:name "Bob" ]
>
> would be perfectly alright, wouldn't it?

Assuming that the IRI ex:Alice is supposed to denote a person named Alice,
then the natural interpretation of these example triples (at least for me)
would be the following: Person Alice likes a person named Bob. Again, for me
that's different from saying: Person Alice likes that there exists a person
named Bob.

Olaf