Combining RDF-star and Singleton Properties [ was Re: The singleton property option]

YET ANOTHER GRAND UNIFYING PROPOSAL
===================================

What appeared as the way forward last winter is getting more and more convoluted as the details are discussed. I agree with Niklas that this is a result of the choice for Option 3, but it also is sign of a deeper problem: we might still don’t work with the right primitives and still don’t have a solid understanding of the problem we’re dealing with. I’m well aware that everybody is tired and wants to be done with all this, but it seems to me that we should change course, again. I’ll discuss some background first, but then make a pretty concrete proposal of how to attack the problem by combining the syntax of RDF-star with the semantics of singleton properties. IMHO it has some very concrete advantages: less triples, less confusing indirections, and more intuitive semantics.

BACKGROUND
==========

I see two main use cases for statement annotation:

- n-ary relations
 with a primary topic and secondary, qualifying attributes
 -> that can be interpreted as INSTANTIATION

- metadata annotations
 that are orthogonal to the topic of the statement
 -> that can be interpreted as REIFICATION

The metadata use case (quite often characterized as provenance) is strong in RDF land with its focus on integration of data from heterogeneous sources. In LPG land much more emphasis is put on structuring the graph into easy to navigate main relations and their less important details (and attributed objects, but that’s another topic). Of course that is just a very rough characterization, and overlaps in both directions are common.

The metadata use case is well captured by REIFICATION because reification stays clear of the annotated statement itself (lets keep in mind that reification is a general concept and don’t associate it with the syntactic verbosity its implementation in RDF for a moment). There is an air gap between the statement and its reification that ensures that the original statement is unencumbered and unchanged by the annotation. This is good for the metadata use case but it is not easy to understand as recent mail exchanges on the list between Olaf, Niklas, Bryan and Peter have shown (again) and the indirection can cause irritating and unfortunate effects.

In an n-ary relation the main relation can be understood as an INSTANTIATION of the type of relation it represents, with each instance having its own secondary attributes as qualifications. Instantiation is a concept that is well understood and maps nicely to everyday conceptualizations like "a car" (engine, four wheels, etc) and "my car" (again engine, four wheels, etc, but also a sedan, blue, old, etc). Instantiation is what drives the semantics of the singleton property approach.

Of course, the distinction is more one of tendencies than of a hard separation: reification can represent n-ary relations and instantiation via n-ary relations can represent metadata, one person’s data is another person’s metadata, etc. However, in both cases that comes at a certain cost in intuitiveness and naturalness. If used wrongly, subtle breaks can be introduced that may lead to surprising and undesirable results.

The problem with the singleton property approach as proposed by Nguyen et al is that it tries to achieve its goal without a change to the syntax of RDF. It lacks the boldness of RDF-star to introduce a new term type into RDF. This makes it verbose, hard to optimize and requiring to entail the primary relation as if it was an additional detail, an afterthought even. On the other hand RDF-star was intially a syntax without a well-defined semantics, or model theory even, and this WG still struggles to make it all work out. This here is an attempt to re-use  the singleton property approach as the semantic underpinning of the RDF-star syntax, or, put the other way, to augment the singleton property approach with the RDF-star syntax, thereby getting rid of its verbosity. So let’s get to it.

CORE
====

1) a return to RDR and pre-CG RDF*: EACH TRIPLE TERM IS ASSERTED, e.g.

   << :s :p :o >> :b :c .

asserts ' :s :p :o ' and annotates it in one go. This gets rid of the need for an annotation/shorthand syntax and it safes an extra triple to actually assert the assertion. It captures the predominant intuition: saying something and adding detail to it. At this point it doesn’t matter much if that detail is metadata or qualifying detail. What matters is that both are solidly connected, not separated (and prone to mixups and misunderstandings through overlapping multi-edge situations).
A query for { :s :p :o } in SPARQL-star on the above example must retrieve the statement ':s :p :o' from the triple term << :s :p :o >>, etc - "Turtle with holes".
This means that in common scenarios there is zero overhead because of singleton property verbosity and entailments, unasserted assertions, etc. The main use case is very straightforward to use (and implement, I reckon).

2) the RDR/RDF* proposal is extended with TRIPLE TERM IDENTIFIERS not unlike the current WG proposal, but with a twist: user-provided identifiers are handled differently (more on that below). Just as in the current WG proposal a bnode identifier is provided by the system for every triple term, e.g. the above '<< :s :p :o >> :b :c .' is equivalent to

   << _:p1 | :s :p :o >> :b :c .

The triple term is now a QUAD-TUPLE: the identifier becomes part of the triple term also in model and abstract syntax, getting rid of the abstract triple term type (the thing syntactically expressed as '<<( :s :p :o )>>' in the current proposal - however, we will reuse that syntax, see below). This identifier is equivalent to the singleton property itself in the approach so named.
The statement identifier, refering to an instance/occurrence of the abstract statement, is essential to capture the semantics of most use cases, not the least LPG uses, where statements (or edges in LPG) of the same type can occur multiple times, each with different and not to be mixed up sets of annotations.

The current WG proposal offers to users the possibility to explicitly define an IRI en lieu of but semantically equivalent to the system provided bnode, e.g.

   << :x | :s :p :o >> :b :c .

Its purpose is to work around the limitations of line-based serializations. We do this too, but in a different way (that’s the TWIST hinted at above): an explicitly provided identifier is stored separately from and additionally to the system provided bnode. The quad therefore conceptually becomes a QUIN-TUPLE - however, stores may choose to just store the explicit identifier via an extra statement, like in the mapping discussed next. The rationale behind this arrangement will become apparent below when we discuss many-to-many relations, sets and graphs.

3) a MAPPING to standard RDF is based on the singleton property approach, e.g.

   :s :p :o .
   :s _:p1 :o .
   _:p1 rdf12:singletonOf :p ;  # _:p1 is a singleton property of _:p
        rdf12:id :x ;           # :x is a user-provided identifier refering to _:p1
        :b :c .

This should work well through the whole installed base and stack of RDF/RDFS/OWL/etc, at least in principle (issues e.g. with missing predicate indexes notwithstanding). [0] have found that singleton properties have quite favorable properties w.r.t. reasoning (and even more so if, in contrast to those authors, one interprets singleton annotations not as constraints but as additional detail).

I claim that so far all this is pretty straightforward and covers the vast majority of real world usage. It is cleaner and more concise than the current proposal in that it doesn’t separate assertion from annotation, it saves that extra un-asserted triple in storage and it makes the shorthand annotation syntax superfluous.

Some details are important to understand:

- rdf12:singletonOf rdfs:subPropertyOf rdf:type .
This reflects the intuition that each singleton is unique, an intuition that is better expressed as instantiation than as subclassing.

- the verbosity and optimization troubles of singelton properties, as evidenced in the mapping, only occur in environments that don’t support RDF-star triple terms (otherwise what would we need RDF-star for ;-).

- the mapping loses the strong connection between a statement and its annotation. Just as with the current WG proposal it is possible to have the same statement asserted and, e.g. after merging a different source, annotated but assumedly un-asserted. The latter information will get lost, making the whole concept of un-asserted assertions brittle and unreliable. The current WG proposal always has this problem, this proposal here only when mapping to standard RDF.

- the main difference between our proposal and the singleton property approach is that we reverse access: we put the un-annotated statement in the foreground (by means of the triple term syntax), both in the user facing syntax and at the implementation level, whereas in the singleton property approach it has to be entailed from the annotated singleton statement. This makes our proposal much more straightforward to use and implement.

EXTENSIONS
==========

The current WG proposal tries to cover more ground than just statement annotation, most notably annotating un-asserted assertions, but also other stuff that depending on perspecticve seems like low-hanging fruit, especially annotating sets of statements and referentially opaque statement annotations. We argue that those are orthogonal demands and should be implemented in a way that doesn’t complicate the above very simple basic arrangement. It seems however that it is possible to achieve this with modest effort.

UNASSERTED ASSERTIONS

We re-use the syntax of abstract triple terms from the current WG proposal to encode unasserted assertions, as the concept of abstract triple terms is obsolete in our approach. Like triple terms they are four-tuples, i.e. they always have an identifier implicitly provided by the system as a bnode. As the use case is rather niche we consider the introduction of an unasserted assertion in model and abstarct syntax overkill, but instead advocate to implement the syntax as syntactic sugar for standard reification, e.g.

   <<( :s :p :o )>> :b :c .

in standard RDF maps to standard reification:

   _:p2 rdf:type :rdf:Statement ;
        rdf:subject :s ;
        rdf:predicate :p ;
        rdf:object :o ;
        :b :c .

The same for explicitly named un-asserted assertions like e.g. '<<( :x | :s :p :o )>>  :b :c .'

   _:p2 rdf:type :rdf:Statement ;
        rdf:subject :s ;
        rdf:predicate :p ;
        rdf:object :o ;
        rdf12:id :x ;
        :b :c .

REFERENTIAL OPACITY

Referential opacity has come up again lately and although I’m pretty wary of the concept I can see a way in which its introduction will probably not harm RDF in general. Most of all I like to see it as an orthogonal concern that should not be entagled with annotations or un-asserted assertions as such. Therefore I take up the idea of introducing yet another syntax (by Enrico IIRC, in a recent telco), e.g.

   <<" :s :p :o ">> :b :c .

Again this may be implemented as a new term type in model and abstract syntax, or we may follow Antoine Zimmermanns proposal for an RDF literal datatype. The latter can be employed to define referential opacity as syntactic sugar and map to standard RDF maps as follows:

   :s :p :o .
   :s _:p3 :o .
   _:p3 rdf12:singletonOf :p ;
        :b :c ;
        rdf12:ofArtefact ":s :p :o"^^rdf:ttl .

The RDF literal datatype documents precisely the syntactic representation of the statement. This is a very un-intrusive approach to referential opacity and IMHO won’t get in the way of standard RDF procedures. Of course it doesn’t prevent undesirable entailments from being made, as the approach to referential opacity taken by the CG proposal does, but at least it allows to track them back to the original source and treat them accordingly. Bnodes might either not be handled or be covered more fully than in teh CG report proposal by allowing artefacts to be concise bounded descriptions. E.g. an artefact ":s :p _:b1 . _:b1 :d :e , :f ."^^rdf:ttl would give a full account of the meaning of _:b1 at the time the artefact was created.

REFERENTIALLY OPAQUE UNASSERTED ASSERTIONS

Again, referential opacity and unasserted assertions are orthogonal concerns, and therefore yet another syntax is introduced to combine the two, e.g.

   <<(" :s :p :o ")>>  :b :c .

Following the above proposals this is mapped to standard RDF by adding the literal representation to the reification quad, e.g.

   _:p4 rdf:type :rdf:Statement ;
        rdf:subject :s ;
        rdf:predicate :p ;
        rdf:object :o ;
        rdf12:hasArtefact ":s :p :o"^^rdf:ttl ;
        :b :c .

Considering the mindboggling level of disambiguation that this arrangement provides the complexity isn’t too bad IMHO ;-)

MANY-TO-MANY, SETS, GRAPHS

Like the current WG proposal this approach doesn’t rule out many-to-many relations, e.g.

   << :x | :s :p :o >> :b :c .
   << :x | :u :v :w >> :b :c .

We might even consider to introduce a supporting syntax, aka GRAPH TERMS, e.g.

   << :s :p :o .
      :u :v :w >> :b :c .

or, explicitly named

   << :x | :s :p :o .
           :u :v :w >> :b :c .

I don’t want to push the envelope too far (given the constraints imposed by the charter, the controverses around the topic, etc) but it’s good to see that this is syntactically straightforward - it isn’t with the shorthand annotation syntax of the WG proposal.

Anyway, employing the mapping to standard RDF from CORE above, we get a straightforward definition of the meaning of many-to-many annotations (no matter if they come as singleton terms or as hypothetical graph terms), e.g. mapping the above many-to-many relation to

   :s :p :o .
   :u :v :w .
   :s _:p5 :o .
   _:p5 rdf12:singletonOf :p ;
        rdf12:id :x ;
        :b :c .
   :u _:v1 :w .
   _:v1 rdf12:singletonOf :v ;
        rdf12:id :x ;
        :b :c .

This establishes a FOR-EACH semantics: annotations of the graph term are annotating each triple, not the graph (or set of triples if one prefers that slightly looser wording) itself. The same is true for annpotations on :x: they too are mapped to all statements so named, e.g.

   << :x | :s :p :o .
           :u :v :w >> :b :c .
   :x :d :e .

is mapped to

   :s :p :o .
   :u :v :w .
   :s _:p5 :o .
   _:p5 rdf12:singletonOf :p ;
        rdf12:id :x ;
        :b :c ;
        :d :e .
   :u _:v1 :w .
   _:v1 rdf12:singletonOf :v ;
        rdf12:id :x ;
        :b :c ;
        :d :e .

To annotate the set of triples itself one would have to create an explicit reference via the identifier :x, e.g.

    :x rdf12:asObject [     # or "rdf12:asGraph", "rdf12:asSet" ...
        :f :g
    ] .

A possible use case might be to express that a set of statements together describe a situation, postulate a theory, etc.
This arrangement can also be used to annotate singleton statements as objects of there own right (not as annotations to the predicate). Semantically this is probably closer to reification than to n-ary relations, but I’m not really sure myself what to make of it. In any case it is more expressive than the current WG proposal which provides no means to differentiate between the object and its content (httpRange-14 raising its ugly head again, I guess)

However, this arrangement has repercussions on the interpretation of annotations on :x (or _:x) in x-to-one cases, i.e. when single statements are annotated, because it can only mean that also those annotations refer to the statement as a whole, not its n-ary property. This is a departure from the current state which leaves this question open - and sure to cause some irritation.

TBC… I’m leaving it at this for reasons of time, but also to solicit some general comments. The details most certainly need some more tweaking, as so far all proposals did. The means to explicitly name an occurrence were introduced to overcome the limitations of serialization, but they do open the door to many-to-many relations, and that comes in handy when discussing sets and graphs. However it mixes orthogonal concerns, so may have unintended consequences. I expect this arrangement to be controversial, and maybe buggy. Comments welcome!

Best,
Thomas

[0] https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-58068-5_39