Re: Next weeks discussions and decision-making for RDF Star WG

> On Nov 16, 2023, at 8:28 AM, Ted Thibodeau Jr <tthibodeau@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>

> On Nov 11, 2023, at 03:23 PM, Gregg Kellogg <gregg@greggkellogg.net <mailto:gregg@greggkellogg.net>> wrote:
>> Regarding the different possibilities outlined above: RDF is a system for describing graphs/datasets composed of triples/statements.
>
> This sentence is problematic in many ways.
>
> "Triples" and "statements" are generally interchangeable terms.

N-Triples describes “triples", while N-Quads describes “statements” or “quads". We don’t define a distinction formally, but I was using this a  short-hand for triples in a graph vs in a dataset.

> RDF is a system for describing *anything* with triples/statements.
>
> However, "graph" and "dataset" are *not* generally interchangeable
> terms, as is suggested by the above.
>
> Graphs are composed of triples/statements.
>
> Datasets are composed of graphs.

This is correct, but we have also expanded the Dataset section to take a view of a Dataset being composed of a set of Quads.

>> IMHO, the fundamental building block should be a graph
>

> The fundamental building block of RDF is and IMHO must remain
> a *triple*.
>
> Graphs are certainly necessary, as soon as data gets at all
> complicated, temporal, multiply sourced, etc, but since graphs
> are composed of triples, graphs cannot be the fundament.

I meant that the fundamental building block for quotation and annotation would be a graph, rather than a triple. We could decide to do both,

> Otherwise, I largely agree with what you said, and could
> probably go along with any of your numbered options. At this
> point, we *probably* need to choose an option that requires
> less work hours, and we *definitely* need to choose an option
> that lays the fewest roadblocks in front of (potential) future
> work, which seems near inevitable and hopefully would be the
> focus of a near-future WG charter.

+1

Gregg