Re: "Multi-Edge Support in RDFn" slides

Thomas,

note that my argument was not so much about paradoxes, than about
self-referential statements (which can be paradoxical or not, but lead
to a nasty class of paradoxes).

That being said:

On 13/12/2022 14:25, Thomas Lörtsch wrote:
> How about
>
>      :A a :Lie .
>      << :A a :Lie >> owl:sameAs :Aq .
>      :Aq a :Lie .

This example is not self-referential, but could be made self-referential

   :A a :Lie.
   << :A a :Lie >> owl:sameAs :A.

So I stand corrected: RDF-star is just as exposed to this kind of
paradox as RDFn.

Note, however, that this is not a paradox until you define the semantics
of owl:sameAs (which is not part of RDF-star's base semantics) and of
:Lie. I believe it would be possible to define the semantics of :Lie in
a way that would not blow up in our face in the case above -- but I
would have to think about it a bit longer.

> Doesn’t that overcome RDF-star's syntactic safe guard against paradoxes? And if it does - I’m not a logician, so I’m not sure - aren’t the consequences even worse for RDF-star than for RDFn, as the paradox targets all occurrences of type << :A a :Lie >>, not only one instance as in RDFn’s case.

Not, it does not targets all occurrences, because the occurrences are
/distinct/ from the type -- or, as you phrase it in terms of the
type-token distinction: the tokens are distinct from the types. That's
why it's called type-token /distinction/. :-)

   pa