Re: clarified and updated formal objection to SHACL property path syntax

From: Irene Polikoff <irene@topquadrant.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2017 16:38:34 -0400
Cc: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
It is certainly easy to write shapes that violate SHACL syntax rules (or any other syntax in the world)  if one is writing them in a notepad or a similar tool that is not aware of the  syntax. I don’t think this is not the point you are making when you say “user can easily write” or  is it?

SHACL specification clearly says that such paths result in ill-formed shapes. Given this, why would users expect them not to be ill formed?  Especially, if SHACL-SHACL could checks for adherence to these syntax rules and raise the violation.

Irene