Re: limiting ill-formed nodes in SHACL

Yes, the working group is chartered for a finite period of time. Unlike in the past when significant extensions were granted  as long as the WG was making progress, the extension process now is much more onerous and, in general, discouraged in favor of getting the first release of the recommendation out and in use quickly. This is what W3C members want and it makes sense.

A WG, no matter how much it tries, can’t address or even envision all potential issues. The importance of many issues can’t be judged correctly until the standard is in wide real life use.   And the “best way” to address them can’t necessarily be judged either, until there is enough real life experience. So, there is a move towards a more pragmatic approach that relies on future iterations driven by the input that will come from organizations as they actually use the standard to solve problems important to them.

With this, I think “nice to have” and even some “must have” (unless they come from multiple parties and are strongly supported by real life use cases) should be documented as potential future work items.

Irene