Re: Question on Handling of Ill-formed Shapes Graphs

Some of the syntax requirements for constructs in SHACL-SPARQL hinge on
whether a string is a syntactically correct SPARQL SELECT or ASK query and are
thus very complex.  There is no distinction in SHACL between these syntax
requirements and the syntax requirements for constructs in SHACL Core so a
SHACL Core processor would need to implement a SPARQL syntax checker.

However, I don't see any good reason why a SPARQL Core processor needs to
consider the syntactic validity of any SHACL-SPARQL constructs at all. A SHACL
Core processor, by design, doesn't do anything with these construct so there
is no benefit for a SHACL Core processor to do this checking.

So all that a SHACL Core processor really should be doing as far as syntax
testing is concerned is checking the SHACL Core constructs for syntactic
validity.  This appears to be fairly easy - the hardest part is probably
checking for valid SHACL property paths.  But even if checking the syntactic
validity of a SHACL property path is not so easy, a SHACL Core processor is
going to have to do much of the checking for syntactic validity when it uses
the list.

It thus seems to me that SHACL Core processors should be required to check for
syntactic validity of SHACL Core constructs and should completely ignore
SHACL-SPARQL constructs.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider
Nuance Communications