Re: [CODE4LIB] SHACL Core abstract syntax

Thanks, Stuart. Some replies below:

On 9/6/16 3:42 AM, Stuart A. Yeates wrote:
> This is fabulous.
>
> Some feedback, based on a relatively quick look (I may have overlooked
> things)
>
> * In the examples, please use .example.org <http://example.org> (or
> similar) rather than .example. More people will find it obvious.

It's true that .example is less "usual", but it is in the same RFC as
example.com|org|etc.[1] We used it when trying to show different IRIs,
and where "a.example.com" and "b.example.com" would be from the same
domain. That said, we take your point and will consider other ways to
make the different IRIs show up better.

> * It's not clear whether SHACL is checking against the RDF graph with or
> without the implicit reverse relationships.

One thing that we didn't say here, and perhaps need to (although in a
sense it belongs in the main document), is that SHACL, like SPARQL,
operates over an RDF graph and does not modify it. Only the *explicit*
data graph is in play. We think that we can make a brief statement in
the introduction, since it obviously is a point of confusion.

> * It would be good to have an example of the form:
>
> <user1> ex:relationship <user2>.
>
> and testing the shape against both <user1> and <user2>

We're thinking about how to do that. Do you have a specific example in
mind? Otherwise, we'll probably include one that uses foaf:Person, which
seems like an obvious choice.

> * Many of the examples have names that don't seem to quite line up.
> ALGEBRAICS EXAMPLE 3 has multiple <user2>s. PARAMETERS EXAMPLE 10 has
> two <issue2>s. PARAMETERS EXAMPLE 3 has <NoActionIssueShape> vs
> <IssueShape>. etc.

We had a number of copy-and-paste errors, some of which have already
been corrected in the version in github[2]. I've promised to make a
careful read-though (again :-() of the examples.

> * You use foaf: quite a bit, but never define it (yes, we all know what
> it stands for, but you should still reference it).

Yes. We should. We will.

> * I would be very much inclined to include a more extensive example.

We will take this under advisement. However, if we create a primer in
this suite of documents, it might fit better there. Either way, some
more "complete" examples will be on our list.

Thanks again,
kc

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2606#section-2
[2] http://w3c.github.io/data-shapes/shacl-abstract-syntax/