Re: [OFFICIAL] - RE: name of the group

On 7/22/14, 7:25 AM, Kendall Clark wrote:
> Can someone help me understand what the technical difference is between
> these requirements about "shape" what is otherwise called constraint
> validation? I'm genuinely confused if these aren't just synonyms.

I'd say that it isn't a "technical difference" but a "human difference"
- looking at cognitive psych work on concepts, most persons will more
likely have a concept of a shape or profile or mental picture of their
data than of "constraint validation". Constraint validation is the
action you can develop based on shapes, but shapes are what the data
means to the people who work with it.

If our audience is only machines, then perhaps SPARQL + closed world OWL
is sufficient (which we won't know until we have done a fairly intense
set of case studies), but if your audience is the people who must think
about their data and express what the boundaries and limitations they
wish for their data, then you need a human-facing language that helps
them both conceptualize the possibilities and to express those concepts
in a way that can be translated to machine-functionality.

Unless we're in the age of Skynet, humans are in the equation for
providing the intellectual meaning to the data, and to the use of the
data to create more knowledge.

Some on this list seem to want to standardize the underlying code,
assuming that there will be a nice interface imposed over it for people
to use. Others want to standardize a simple language that can be
converted to underlying code, that could be used directly or sit between
a UI and the machine code.

Personally, I have already found that without a deep understanding of
the underlying code (which often is not documented), the UIs that I have
encountered do not explain to me what transformations are happening
between the UI and the underlying code. I cannot trust the results I
get. (Is it a bug, or a feature?) The distance between the UI and the
code is too far.

An intermediate language, let's call it "python/ruby/perl/.../ for RDF"
would make it possible for thousands of skilled developers to write
their own code, and to have predictable results.

That's my 3 cents.

kc

--
Karen Coyle