Van: Antoine Isaac [aisaac@few.vu.nl]
Verzonden: dinsdag 22 juli 2014 10:12
Aan: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
Onderwerp: Re: in between position

Dear all,

The discussion is really interesting, but I'm afraid grounded on sand and quite a waste of time now. As long as the cases for which we want RDF validation / shape checking are not further documented/formalized, firing examples by email will be a very stimulating game, but we won't be able to use them to disqualify either ShEx or SPIN or any other. Or to convince their creators to update them, if that's the best strategy.
I imagine things will be quite different once there appears in a formal Group Note some requirements that are super-hard to tackle for ShEx or SPIN...

I found Holger's last contrib to be especially interesting in fact. If someone like him thinks that an answer to the current draft charter [1] is: "oh, we could also make a group around SPIN", then it is indeed that there is something fishy with the current charter. We should create a technology-agnostic WG here. If the discussion demonstrates there's not enough consensus for a specific technology, consensus needs to be built.

Personally I thought the current charter was neutral enough, and its focus on use case and requirements strong enough to warrant bias towards a given technology. Especially the word 'shapes' was not ShEx-binding, as it not used only by ShEx.
But well, the group could also be titled with "constraints" instead of "shapes". And let the notion of shapes re-emerge through requirements, if it's indeed a relevant one (I believe it is, but well...).

By the way I believe the charter could be a bit stronger on the OWL side. If there's a new standard for constraint checking, the group should have identified when users should use OWL, and when they should use the new standard. It might be just a matter of pointing to some existing papers on the topic.

Best,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/2014/data-shapes/charter