Re: comparing to OWL and SPIN

On 07/21/2014 08:09 AM, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>> I could be that the Regular Expression derivatives algorithm,
>> although much less expressive then OWL, is outperforming the OWL
>> reasoners.  Only some research and testing will give an useful
>> answer, but certainly something nice to consider and test.
>
> Yes, this could be tested.  I expect that StarDog ICV will perform
> very well, as it works by translation into SPARQL queries.

It looks to me like ShEx could validate a graph serialization in linear
time (with the size of the serialization), with no need for storing the
graph.  That's appealing to me when we're talking about validating
messages that are being sent between systems.

SPARQL based solutions require storing and searching the graph, which is
exponential (and likely slow unless properly indexed), but that's
probably fine if you're just validating data that you need to keep in a
SPARQL system anyway.

     -- Sandro