Re: Shapes/ShEx or the worrying issue of yet another syntax and lack of validated vision.

From: Holger Knublauch <holger@topquadrant.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 09:32:07 +1000
To: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
On 7/18/2014 8:37, Karen Coyle wrote:
> Kendall, I'm not sure what you're saying here - that because this
> commercial software exists we don't need an open standard? Quite
> honestly, I never expect to have $$ to become a customer of any of
> these, and that is true for a lot of institutions with which I am
> familiar.
>
> Is this "running, shipping code" available for those who need to
> create their own solutions?

The SPIN API [1] is open source, no strings attached. TopBraid Composer
Free Edition [2] has also full SPIN support including editing,
inferencing, constraint checking and profiling.

[1] http://topbraid.org/spin/api/
[2] http://www.topquadrant.com/downloads/

W3C processes can be started by any small group of people, even if they
reflect just a tiny minority of real-world use cases. This situation is
not always desirable, because the label of W3C automatically gives
greater importance than competing standards that have not become W3C
standards (whether they are better or not). I believe it would be best
if a ShEx member submission gets exposed to the real world for a couple
of years. When it passes that test of time and user like it, then an
official W3C process could be started to finish it into a standard.
Otherwise we end up with yet another GRDDL or RIF.

Holger