Re: ShEx relation to SPIN/OWL

* John Snelson <John.Snelson@marklogic.com> [2014-07-03 10:31+0000]
> Hi John,
>
> On 03/07/14 08:18, john.walker wrote:
> > I know many people who would consider SPARQL to be a declarative
> > language, albeit not with the specific purpose of validation.
>
> SPARQL is a declarative language for querying RDF. ShEx is a declarative
> language for describing RDF shapes. With declarative languages it's
> vital to talk about the context in which it is declarative.
>
> > Even with a declarative validation language I would expect, in many
> > real-world use cases, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
> > I'm not sure I understand your last point about an RDF based syntax, do
> > you mean RDF/XML specifically here?
>
> I certainly don't mind there being an RDF representation of ShEx, but
> there also needs to be a syntax that is easily written and read.

Just as an FYI, there's a View as <Resource Shapes> link in the ShEx
Demo so you can get some idea what it would look like in RDF.

> > Personally I think it is pretty cool to have an RDF representation of
> > ShEx that could be serialized to any of the concrete RDF syntaxes.
> > Primarily for these reasons:
> > - ShEx could be stored in a graph store
> > - ShEx could be used to validate itself
> > - ShEx could be queried or constructed using SPARQL
>
> Agreed, although syntax is not the only factor here. XML Schema has an
> XML based syntax, but going from the XML syntax to a usable
> representation of the model is so complicated that it's not generally
> considered feasible in XSLT/XQuery.

Because RNG has a start token, I was able to do something like this with RNC:
  http://www.w3.org/2004/02/03-rdal/
, but I used perl and DOM and that sort of stuff (to compile XSLT).
I agree, coercing something into your representation model is only the first,
and probably the easiest, step

--
-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509