Re: Moving forward

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear and sounded like I was complaining.

We're running out of time to get a WG launched in time to have a first
face to face meeting at TPAC. Although such a f2f isn't a must -have, we
(the Team and I) thought this would be a good opportunity to get the WG
truly going. From that point of view, we would rather not change the
charter any further.

But if anyone made a concrete proposal on how to change the charter that
would seem to gain general support rather than getting immediate push back
from others on the list I would expect the Team to accommodate. That's why
I said that the most productive thing to do is to propose specific
changes. This remark wasn't directed to you in particular but to everyone
on the list.

I hope this is clearer.
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - Senior Technical Staff Member, Open Web Standards - IBM
Software Group

"Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com> wrote on 08/06/2014
01:15:27 PM:

> From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS
> Cc: public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
> Date: 08/06/2014 01:15 PM
> Subject: Re: Moving forward
>
> You said that we should use the current charter to start the WG.  I said
that
> I thought that the current charter is not suitable to start the WG, and
why I
> thought so.  You are now complaining that I should have produced a
proposal
> for change.  However, according to you change was not an option.  So are
you
> now saying that there is again the possibility of change to the charter?
>
> peter
>

> On 08/06/2014 11:52 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > There is only so much that can be conveyed in a list of deliverables
that is
> > meant to be concise. The list doesn't stand on its own though. The
previous
> > sections of the charter give additional information about what is
meant in
> > that list. For instance, I think the following list of issues to
> be addressed
> > in section 1 makes it clear that the first deliverable isn't just
about
> > defining a vocabulary without defining what shapes are, how they are
to be
> > used, and what they mean.
> >
> >   * Defining and publishing a description of the intended topologyand
value
> >     constraints of a nodes in a RDF graph, henceforth a "shape".
> >   * Verification of data integrity with respect to a shape.
> >   * Human and machine interpretation of shapes to develop or optimize
SPARQL
> [...]
> > 10:09:04 AM:
> >
> >  > From: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfpschneider@gmail.com>
> >  > To: Arnaud Le Hors/Cupertino/IBM@IBMUS, public-rdf-shapes@w3.org
> >  > Date: 08/06/2014 10:09 AM
> >  > Subject: Re: Moving forward
> >  >
> >  > I can't support the current deliverables, at least as I understand
them.
> >  >
> >  > The first deliverable indicates that the working group is supposed
to be
> >  > producing an RDF vocabulary for shapes without defining what shapes
> >  > are or how
> >  > they are to be used.  Either that or the first deliverable is
> simply an RDF
> >  > vocabulary for some existing definition of shapes, which seems
> even stranger.
> >  >
> >  > The second deliverable uses considerably different language, asif
the two
> >  > products cover quite different situations.   This does not
> sound like a good
> >  > idea to me.
> >  >
> >  > There is no recommendation track deliverable for the meaning of
> >  > shapes/constraints/validation.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > The current draft charter is also tilted away from the kind of
> RDF validation
> >  > that is done with respect to RDFS classes, particularly in the
> scopesection.
> >  >   This is particularly strange as there has been quite a bit of
> discussion as
> >  > to how class-based validation relates to shapes.  I would have
> expected the
> >  > scope to have been widened to cover the goals of class-based
> >  > validation of RDF
> >  > graphs.  I also don't see what RDF shapes have to say to the
> description of
> >  > query interfaces.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > I do not think that the charter is ready.
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > peter
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > On 08/06/2014 09:31 AM, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
> >  > > Hi all,
> >  > >
> >  > > As chair-to-be of the proposed WG I've been working with the
> W3C Team on
> >  > > trying to find a way forward that would be acceptable by all.
> >  > >
> >  > > The normative change proposed to the charter [draft charter]
> which was to
> >  > > start with use cases and requirements instead of assuming
Resource