Re: rdf.rb/spira bulk read question

For the first question, RDF.rb is based on iterators. The default
implementation of query_pattern, (see RDF::Queryable) will iterate
over each_statement and return results for each potential result. It's
painful. Have you re-implemented this for your backend?

For the second question, you'd need two things to get what you want
here. First, Spira would need a significant amount of work to take
advantage of BGPs. It was written before they were available. Second,
your repository implementation would need to implement them
effectively, and RDF.rb's implementation is a pretty straightforward
application of the BGP algorithm, which involves a lot of iterating
over intermediate results, which, in your case, will involve a lot of
queries. There's no real way around this in the general case;
efficient BGP execution would be dependent on the actual backend.

Solving that generally, you'd end up re-implementing some of the hard
parts of SPARQL; you'd have to re-implement RDF::Query#execute to be
specific to your repository's logic. Is there a reason you are not
using one of the many available RDF stores with SPARQL support?

Ben