Re: CURIE syntax: prefix separator required or not?

Both.  The CURIE spec is generic.  However, if you look just SLIGHTLY
further in section 7 you will see:

In RDFa these values are defined as follows:

    * the *set of mappings from prefixes to URIs* is provided by the
      current in-scope prefix declarations of the [current element
      <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#T_current_element>] during parsing;
    * the *mapping to use with the default prefix* is the current
      default prefix mapping;
    * the *mapping to use when there is no prefix* is not defined, which
      effectively prohibits the use of CURIEs that do not contain a colon;
    * the *mapping to use with the '_' prefix*, is not explicitly
      stated, but since it is used to generate [bnode
      <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-syntax/#T_bnode>]s, its implementation
      needs to be compatible with the RDF definition.

In other words, while the generic CURIE syntax permits no prefix, in
RDFa that is not permitted.

Hope this helps.