Re: Call for Review of XHTML Test Cases 142, 147, and 154

From: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 20:31:56 +0000
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
CC: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa Developers <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
Mark Birbeck wrote:
> My observation about TC154 is simply that the character after
> "xmlns:test" caused my XML editor problems. (I thought I might as well
> see if the document was well-formed.)

The entire point of the test case is that that particular character is
likely to cause problems :-)

It's a U+0140, which is permitted by the latest Rec of XML at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-NameChar> but forbidden (not
well-formed) according to the previous Rec at
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/#NT-NameChar>.

Most XML implementations follow the old 4th Edition, so they'll consider
the test case ill-formed. I guess RDFa is meant to be based on the
latest edition (since I don't see anything that looks like intentional
references to old versions), but I'm not at all certain about that. So
this test case is an attempt to clarify the situation.

--
Philip Taylor
pjt47@cam.ac.uk