Re: Test results for xmlns:foo attribute preservation across all browsers

On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 21:12:07 +0200, Manu Sporny
<msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
> The test ensures that attributes originating in the markup of an HTML4
> document are preserved by the HTML parser and are preserved in the DOM.
> The xmlns:-style attributes are then accessed via pure Javascript and
> DOM-Level-1 mechanisms. Here is the test:
>
> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/tests/xmlns-attribute-test.html
>
> We have verified that xmlns:-style attributes are preserved in the
> following browsers:
>
> Firefox 3.0.9, Firefox 3.5.1, Chrome 3.0.196, Internet Explorer 7.0,
> Internet Explorer 8.0, Safari 4.0, Opera 9, Arora 0.7.0, Konqeror 4.2,
> Epiphany 2.22, and Android 1.5 (T-Mobile G1)
>
> Maciej, I believe that these results were what you were expecting. Ben,
> Shane, Mark, these results contradict what I asserted this morning
> during the RDFa telecon.

If this is referring to the issue that was raised long ago regarding xmlns
attributes in the DOM. The issue was not that they would not end up in the
DOM. They do. This is interoperably implemented and required by HTML5. The
issue is that they do not end up in the DOM in the same namespace as they
do in XML. In XML xmlns attributes when added to the DOM are put in the
http://www.w3.org/2000/xmlns/ namespace (see section 3 of /TR/xml-names).
In HTML xmlns attributes when added to the are put in no namespace, just
like any other attribute.

Henri explained this a lot, e.g. in
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2009-January/018242.html
but see also the other emails in that long thread...

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/