Re: Google adds another link type

Elias Torres wrote:
> I'm sure you have seen this but I haven't seen it here...
>
> http://laughingmeme.org/2009/04/03/url-shortening-hinting/
>
> Basically Kellan is using rel="alternate shorter" instead of
> rev="canonical" which is more inline with RDFa. I don't keep up with
> HTML5 but it seems like @rev is deprecated. Good discussion on the post.

I hope @rev comes back into HTML5. Deprecating it is based on Ian
noticing that it wasn't used correctly to date. I'm sure that's true,
but it misses the point: if no tools make use of @rev, then of course
the markup will be wrong often. But with RDFa parsers like SearchMonkey
and others, there is now an incentive to write things correctly.

I think if the url-shortening folks choose rev=canonical, publishers
will figure out just fine, because the first thing they would do is
check that it works (with a bookmarklet, a web service that checks for
you, etc...) and correct their markup if it doesn't.

The idea that markup gets dirty because it's not human-visible is
true... but I suspect it's not the root cause. The root cause is that
there's no feedback mechanism to reinforce good markup. You can provide
a feedback mechanism using SearchMonkey or otherwise.

-Ben