Re: capturing reserved keywords in @rel

[Please cc on replies]

To be 100% clear about the Dublin Core position here:

The two specifications for representing Dublin Core metadata in
HTML/XHTML:

Recommendation, from 2003:
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/

Proposed recommendation, will eventually replace the above:
http://dublincore.org/documents/2007/11/05/dc-html/

*both* rely on the @profile attribute for triggering interpretation of
@rel etc as Dublin Core metadata.

Thus, from a DCMI point of view, there is no expectancy that any triples
be inferred for rel="DC.creator" and similar in the absence of a
matching profile attribute.

The proposed recommendation above uses GRDDL for XHTML, thus taking care
of generating triples on its own.

The expectation is that direct use of RDFa will *eventually* replace the
above specifications. In the meantime, it is assumed that RDFa and
DC-in-HTML remain orthogonal and non-overlapping. I assume that this
corresponds to what this TF wants, but i just wanted to make sure there
is no misunderstanding.

/Mikael

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 02:23:30PM +0100, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:23:30 +0100
> From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
> To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
> Cc: Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>, RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
> Subject: Re: capturing reserved keywords in @rel
> Sender: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf-request@w3.org
>
> Mark,
>
> Again: I am lost. Really. What I think Manu (and I) are saying is
that
> the namespace document for
>
> http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/vocab#
>
> defines prefix-less @rel values that are meaningful (it may be a
simple
> XHTML file listing the values in a <dl>, I do not really care!), and
> they are in that namespace. All other prefix-less CURIE values are
> thrown away. Period. Full stop.
>
> I do not think there should be _any_ reference to _any_ preprocessing
> step in RDFa. Yes, @rel="DC.Creator" will be lost, and RDFa requires
> @rel="DC:Creator". (The DC folks actually know that and have agreed
with
> that.)
>
> Introducing the extra @profile mechanism to define other namespace
for
> prefix-less @rel values is, well... under-defined, isn't it? There is
no
> accepted formalism to define such values, so either we define this,
or
> we leave it undefined but then we have a problem because the
> preprocessing is undefined... or we define this mechanism a la XSLT,
in
> which case we have to reproduce GRDDL... let us not go there!
>
> I may be missing something fundamental here.
>
> Ivan
>
> Mark Birbeck wrote:
> >Hi Ivan,

> >>Nowhere:-)
> >>
> >>I do not think that this pre-processing step should be part of the
spec.
> >>It is a reasonable way of implementation (my implementation has,
> >>essentially, the same general feature built-in), but it is not a
spec
> >>issue.
> >
> >Right...I agree. But that does mean we have gone full circle, since
> >that's what we had before, when we agreed to defer the issue all that
> >time ago. The whole point of my suggestion at the time, was that we
> >would add the feature that we know we want to implementations, and
> >then we should work out later exactly how to write it up in the spec,
> >or whether it should be part of some other spec, such as hGRDDL, or
> >even (dare I say it?) CURIEs.
> >
> >I'll come back to this idea at the end.
> >

> >>I am actually lost. I thought Manu's proposal in:
> >>

>>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2008Jan/0152.html
> >>
> >>is a perfectly reasonable way of document this and put an end to the
> >>issue (and hGRDDL is _a_ conceptual way of implementing it, but that
is
> >>not part of the document).

> [...]

<mikael@nilsson.name>

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose