Re: HTML5 Progress

Ivan Herman wrote:
> Ie, we may end up having to use data-typeof and data-about in future for
> RDFa in HTML5?

It's good to see the HTML5 folks thinking about extensibility, but this
approach is a bit silly. For now, it's data-, but what next? Surely
accessibility- might make sense, and since the JavaScript libraries
already have their own attributes, they might end up using jquery-,
prototype-, etc.. Might we then see a claim that, because there's no
colon, this actually isn't a namespacing mechanism? It's all starting to
look very familiar....

If HTML5 is about formalizing existing uses, then they should allow
extraneous attributes to validate, end of story. What they do about xml
namespaces is debatable, but this introduction of data- is entirely
artificial and backed by no existing web uses.

-Ben