an issue with prefix-less curies (also comment on the syntax document)

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:20:57 +0200
To: RDFa <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>
No, I do not want to go into the core discussion:-), this is something
else.

I had a chat with TimBL this afternoon on RDFa and he made me realize
something. Say we have the rel="next" somewhere. This is one of the
reserved properties, so I think we all agree that the RDFa processor
would generate the xhtml:next property in the RDF graph. Some small
issues with that, though

- the current syntax document defines the xhtml namespace as:

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml

if the simple CURIE rules are used, that means that the CURIE above will
expand to

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtmlnext

which is certainly not what we want. So what namespace should be used?
At the moment, if I type in

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml

in my browser, it seems to redirect to

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/

is this the namespace we should use? Or is it

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml#

?

- In both cases we get a number of URI-s for the predefined XHTML @rel
values. Either

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/next

or

	http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml#next

In a nice world both URI-s should be dereferencable... The second one
does, in the sense that it will return something (but the #next will be
forgotten), whereas the first one will yield a 404....:-(

Nothing serious here, but we should probably decide what the final URI-s
should be for the predefined @rel/@property values, set up a minimal
infrastructure to make those URIs dereferencable and set the namespace
accordingly...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/