Re: Clarifying CURIEs [was Re: RDFa - Dublin Core Metadata - [Fwd: Draft of revised version of Expressing DC in X/HTML meta/link elements]]

Ivan wrote, regarding the CURIE spec:
> However. We clearly would need proper TF resolution on these issues.

We have agreed (though not quite resolved) to include a complete CURIE
description in the RDFa Syntax document. See [1].

Mark wrote:
> All of this could be done in a preprocessing step which might just be
> Ben's hGRDDL proposal from before.

Exactly, and in fact *all* of this can and should be handled with
hGRDDL. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the point of
the hGRDDL proposal is:

GRDDL takes XHTML and outputs RDF/XML

while

hGRDDL takes XHTML and outputs XHTML+RDFa.

So hGRDDL would take XHTML with DC markup, and, using a transform
specified by the DC profile, sprinkle in the proper RDFa with the right
syntax. For example, DC's example #1 would be processed as follows

(note that I moved @profile from the HTML element to HEAD... I think
they made a mistake?)

======
  <head profile="http://dublincore.org/documents/2007/07/27/dc-html/">
    <title>Services to Government</title>
    <link rel="schema.DCTERMS" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" />
    <link rel="DCTERMS.subject" href="http://example.org/topics/archives" />
  </head>
======

The dc-html profile should specify both a GRDDL and an hGRDDL transform.

The hGRDDL transform modifies the DOM as follows:

======
  <head xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/">
    <title>Services to Government</title>
    <link rel="schema.DCTERMS" href="http://purl.org/dc/terms/" />
    <link rel="DCTERMS.subject dcterms:subject"
href="http://example.org/topics/archives" />
  </head>
======

(Note specifically the addition of the namespace and the @rel value of
dcterms:subject.)

I've written up a paper about this which should see the light of day
soon, and which I think will be crucial to link other syntaxes with RDFa
without making RDFa a hodge-podge of different syntaxes.

(And it's worth noting that I've implemented hGRDDL for hCard and
hCalendar, and it works surprisingly well with very little code.)

In other words, I think we can ignore this for now: we'll have a proper
solution by transforming legacy syntaxes, rather than supporting them in
RDFa core.

-Ben

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2007Jul/0116