Re: My no-longer pseudo code, the way I understand it:-)

Hm. Well. Hm. And again well... :-)

I am not sure either. I see your argument, but I do not have any
experience on which way is better and more agreeable for the user. I
could also imagine a situation when I cut and paste a portion of code
which acts as some sort of a template for setting some predicates
against _whatever_ the inherited subject is, in which case a sudden
redefinition is a pain...

Again I am not sure. I guess that in case of uncertainty and empirical
evidence on what the user really wants, I would opt for an approach that
is algorithmically cleaner and does not have too many implicit resets,
exception to rules, etc. In this sense I have a (maybe unsubstantiated)
feeling that not assigning any extra behaviour to @xml:base makes sense.
I know this is not a strong argument...

Let see what the others think!

Ivan