Re: Using the CLASS attribute - Request for Feedback

* Ben Adida wrote:
>In one microformat, class="foo" might mean a type foo, while in another
>microformat it might mean a foo relationship between two things. So you
>need to know which microformat you're dealing with to know how to parse
>it. That's the kind of inconsistency and unpredictability we're trying
>to move away from with RDFa.

Then why did you ask in the first place? You know that microformats are
in use and they rely on semantics that are not particularily compatible
with what you are proposing, yet you ask whether there is anything about
your proposal that might surprise some author. That does not make sense.

>Do you expect the CSS to apply different styling rules depending on
>which interpretation of CLASS this particular microformat chose? I
>suspect not.
>
>In other words, you expect CSS to blindly say "anything with CLASS=x I'm
>going to style as an instance of the CLASS x."

What has CSS to do with any of this? This was not part of your original
question and you yourself pointed out not long ago on this list that any
considerations considerations concerning style sheets are out of scope
of this task force. Class selectors match an element if it belonges to a
specific class. This has nothing to do with any form of interpretation,
while your proposal is all about interpretation.

>And that's exactly what our RDFa interpretation is. The exact semantics
>you're expecting from the HTML, expressed as RDF. I think that's quite a
>bit more consistent than the microformat approach, where you have to
>look up the microformat definition to figure out what that CLASS
>attribute really means.

You have not proposed anything that changes that, the triple you derived
from your example, "_:div0 rdf:type :menu", is, as it stands, exactly as
meaningful has "this <div> belongs to class 'menu'".