RE: [ALL] RDF/A Primer Version

> From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) [mailto:A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk]
>
> I think that, because no element with the id attribute value
> "me" is actually present in the document, then current
> specifications [3,4] do not allow any conclusions about the
> nature of <#me> to be drawn from the content-type of the document.

I don't think that's quite correct.  The WebArch makes no requirement
that the fragment identifier actually exist in the retrieved document.
The dependency is on whether a *representation* exists when the primary
resource is dereferenced.  From WebArch sec 3.2.1:
[[
The semantics of a fragment identifier are defined by the set of
representations that might result from a retrieval action on the primary
resource. The fragment's format and resolution are therefore dependent
on the type of a potentially retrieved representation, even though such
a retrieval is only performed if the URI is dereferenced. If no such
representation exists, then the semantics of the fragment are considered
unknown and, effectively, unconstrained.
]]

Thus, my interpretation of the WebArch is that if http://example.org/foo
returns application/xhtml+xml, then RFC3236 applies, which states:

	". . . fragment identifiers for XHTML documents designate
	the element with the corresponding ID attribute value".

If no such element exists, then http://example.org/foo#me identifies a
non-existent element.  The fact that no such element actually exists
does not change the fact that that is what the URI identifies.

> . . .
> Please note my position given at [7]: 'I support publication
> of this document as a Working Draft'. I do not think the
> publication of RDF/A as Working Draft should be delayed
> because of this particular discussion thread.

I agree.  I think the warning that Ben has added is adequate.

David Booth