RE: [ALL] RDF/A Primer Version

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 17:11:44 -0600
To: "Booth, David (HP Software - Boston)" <dbooth@hp.com>
Cc: "Ben Adida" <ben@mit.edu>, "SWBPD list" <public-swbp-wg@w3.org>, "public-rdf-in-xhtml task force" <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>

>  > From: Pat Hayes [mailto:phayes@ihmc.us]
>>  . . .
>>  That isn't how I read [4]. The kind of usage you describe is not
>>  'indirect', since all the identifiers are being used with a single
>>  referent in mind: "http://jo-lamda.blogspot.com/" denotes a web page
>>  and "_:aaa" denotes its owner.
>
>I think what you're trying to elucidate is good, but the sentence above
>does not seem quite right.  When a single identifier is used with more
>than one referent in mind, that would normally be called "ambiguous",
>not "indirect".

OK, let me re-phrase. In the example using bnodes, there is no case
where an identifier which has a 'normal' meaning is being
systematically used to refer to something else. The example given in
[4] is the use of "Downing Street" to refer to the UK government
rather than a London street, even though it of course can also refer
to a London street, and in fact this is the basis for this indirect
use. But in the RDF I was referring to, no identifier is being
overloaded in this way. The intuitive reading of the example has each
identifier clearly referring to a single intended referent, and there
is nothing which requires any identifier to be re-interpreted or
overloaded by anything like the downing-street/government kind of
double entendre. So I don't see this kind of example as having
anything to do with indirect identification at all.

Pat Hayes

>[4] WebArch: http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#indirect-identification
>
>David Booth

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell