Re: GRDDL-enabling microformats

Hi Danny,

Le vendredi 20 mai 2005 à 11:52 +0200, Danny Ayers a écrit :
> If I understand the new GRDDL draft [1] correctly, a compatible
> document would firstly include a reference to the data-view profile to
> say "transformations of this doc have the same meaning as this doc" -
> <head profile="http://www.w3.org/2003/g/data-view">
>
> This would be the same for all microformats.

Actually, this is even more flexible than that; you don't need to get
all microformats to adopt the GRDDL profile; as long as they do have a
profile (as XFN does), then you can put the relevant information
directly in the profile document itself, and all the documents
referencing this profile would become GRDDLable.

To take the XFN example in more details:
* each document using the XFN microformat is supposed to reference the
XFN profile, http://gmpg.org/xfn/
* when encountering such a document, a GRDDL processor would thus go and
dereference the URI above
* if at the URI above, the GRDDL processor is able to extract an
information linking this URI to a <dataview:profileTransformation>, it
will then apply the said transformation to any XHTML document
referencing the said profile
* so to make instantaneously any XFN document GRDDL-able, what is needed
is to get the XFN profile document to point to the said transformation
* since as of today, this profile document is in XHTML, the simplest way
to get it point to the XSLT is to have this XHTML document itself being
GRDDL-able, so that its GRDDL interpretation would be
<http://gmpg.org/xfn/> dataview:profileTransformation <xfn2rdf.xsl>.
* one way of doing so would be:
  - to add the GRDDL profile to the head of the XFN profile document
  - to add a <link rel="transformation"
href="http://www.w3.org/2003/12/rdf-in-xhtml-xslts/grddlProfileTransformation.xsl" /> in the head of the XFN profile document
  - to make a link anywhere in the document to the XSLT that transforms
XFN into RDF, with a rel attribute set to "profileTransformation"; DanC
had developed a draft transformation to that effect:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2004Jan/0014.html

This is already implemented e.g. with the W3C Home page:
* it uses a profile <http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/#> to make the
news embedded in it extractable as RSS;
* if you dereference http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/#, you get an
XHTML document; this XHTML document itself is GRDDL-able, since it
references the GRDDL profile
* the GRDDL interpretation of it
http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%
2F2004%2F01%2Frdxh%2Fgrddl-xml-processor&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org
%2F2000%2F08%2Fw3c-synd%2F%23 shows that the said profile is is linked
to a profileTransformation available at
http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/home2rss.xsl
* thus, a GRDDL interpreter hitting the W3C Home page can directly
extract the RSS feed from it, as shown at:
http://www.w3.org/2000/06/webdata/xslt?xslfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%
2F2004%2F01%2Frdxh%2Fgrddl-xml-processor&xmlfile=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org
%2F

Dom