Re: Validating XHTML with embedded RDF

On Wednesday 25 June 2003 03:11, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> One caution on this message is that the HTML WG will NOT define
> generic syntax.  That's beyond the scope of the HTML WG charter, too.
> Our scope is restricted to improve the meta element in XHTML 2.0,
> and nothing more.  It *could* be used to encode RDF in XHTML 2.0, but
> expressing every possible RDF with this syntax may not be the goal.

Ok, hopefully the RDF folks are paying attention. <smile/>

> > > Technically it is still possible to "use" character entities together
> > > with XML Schema or other schema languages, independent from a
> > > particular document type definition, as noted in "An XML Core WG
> > > View" [15].
> >
> > Ah, I hadn't noticed that before. Did the HTML WG respond? The Core
> > position relies upon the presence of a DTD, "The existing mechanism,
> > DTDs, is entirely adequate to the purpose. " [15] Of course, if you
> > don't want to use a DTD, they don't address the issue.

Entities and well-formed internal subset parsing are a place where I easily
get confused, so I:
1. added my own entity declaration (<!ENTITY ent1 "Hello">) and used it
(&ent1) in an xhtml document; your schema considered the instance valid.
2. used an entity (&ent2) in an xhtml document that wasn't declared; your
schema *still* considered it valid.

Of course, I'm not convinced that the Schema Validator's parser actually
considered my entities actual entities, but I'm surprised both documents
were considered valid... (I suppose my confusion relates to Schema's lack
of "support" of entities: does that mean it will consider them invalid (I
now think not) or it simply considers them to be character data?)

Regardless, in trying to track what's still going on:
1. Just last month the Schema WG asked about using schema for 'XHTML +
MathML + SVG Profile' and you responded there's reluctance because of a
lack of entity support in Schema:
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2003AprJun/0085.html
2. However, you've also noted that XHTML2.0 will be using Schema?

If I understand that correctly, are these reconciled in an expectation that
something will come along as you work on XHTML2.0 that will provide you
with an equivalent of entities?