Re: Does XSD/RNG Based RDF in XHTML need a new FPI?

On Friday 04 July 2003 06:51, Masayasu Ishikawa wrote:
> XHTML+CC, but defining XHTML+RDF is like defining XHTML+arbitraryXML.

Yes, exactly. So what is necessary in this case? You had mentioned this
might be considered a "not-so-strictly" conforming XHTML document.

> If you stick to the DTD, it's just invalid, regardless of the XHTML
> host language document type conformance.

Ok, so I remove the DTD.

> You cannot claim it's
> XHTML 1.0 Transitional document type (which is a specific XHTML Family
> member with fixed set of elements and attributes).

I've been trying to follow this [1] thread, and [2], but I'm still not sure
if this concept of "not-so-strictly" is a red-herring I'm chasing, nor how
to properly identify a "not-so-strictly" document of  XHTML+arbtraryXML. In
the past, my understanding was that an XML instance was self identifying
via its DOCTYPE and/or namespace. DOCTYPEs are related to DTDs, so let's
put that aside. Then the namespace should be able to identify the
instance's definition. However, this itself is a contentious statement as
some folks feel that a namespace merely disambiguates, and is not
self-defining nor de-referencable. Ok, so what do we rely upon so that a
XML document can properly identify itself for validation? That seems to be
specific to what you mean by validation. In this Schema case, there's the
schemaLocation stuff. However, these attributes are not permitted in XHTML
and you noted that's not likely [4] to happen any time soon?

Now, there's NRL. I've never had an expectation that one could or should
address the semantics of composing/mixing XML1.0 . XML 1.0 just wasn't made
for that, and I don't think it will be able to be added layer. (So I think
this issue will be on the TAG list for quite some time [6] <smile/>). But I
did hope that one could have the syntax be self-identifying and
validatable. NRL seems to put an end to that argument. The namespaces
disambiguate the elements and attributes, that's all. The conception of
validity is an external definition without any way to necessarily identify
that definition from an instance. (This, and playing with various schema
tools this week for something else leads me to feel we're headed towards
"catalogs" in the XML space.)

Ok, so sorry for the rambling, but to put a point on my question, could you
point me to a proper instance that you think conforms to your [3]. Does [a]
without the DOCTYPE qualify?

[1]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2002Oct/0232.html
[2]http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xhtml-m12n-schema-20021209/schema-modules.html#sec_3.3.
[3]http://www.w3.org/People/mimasa/test/schemas/SCHEMA/xhtml1-loose.xsd