Re: Motivation for INSERT DATA syntax

Thomas,

Grammar note 7 covers this point:

"""
The tokens INSERT DATA, DELETE DATA, DELETE WHERE allow any amount of
white space between the words.  The single space version is used in the
grammar for clarity.
"""

Writing it as a single token means that the grammar is LL(1).  It would
have to be rewritten it with a single rule starting 'DELETE' , followed
by all the possibilities.

Instead each update operation gets it's own grammar rule and we have:

"""
[30]  Update1  ::=
   Load | Clear | Drop | Add | Move | Copy | Create |
     InsertData | DeleteData | DeleteWhere | Modify
"""

The MOVE etc case is made different by the optional 'SILENT'

'MOVE' 'SILENT'?

	Andy