Re: SPARQL update semantics Dataset-UNION vs. Dataset-MERGE

On 18 Apr 2011, at 14:57, Andy Seaborne wrote:

> On 18/04/11 00:13, Axel Polleres wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> trying to catch up with my actions and especially with Update
>> semantics... taking some closer look at Dataset-UNION vs.
>> Dataset-MERGE, since we now have a definition of Dataset-MERGE in
>> query...
>
> Non-technical:
>
> It would be better to have a definition of dataset-union that is specifically useful for SPARQL Update.
>
> 1/ It isolates us (SPARQl-WG) from decisions of RDF-WG around datasets
>
> 2/ There are specific issue to do with subgraphs where we want very precise handling of bnodes.
>
> By the way: The current defn of Dataset-MERGE is wrong (as Peter PS has pointed out) and needs fixing.

Would a modified version of the definition we have for Dataset-UNION
 http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/docs/update-1.1/Overview.xml#def_datasetUnion
such that
 s/where union between graphs is defined as set-union of triples in those graphs./
   where union between graphs is defined as RDF merge of those graphs./
do better? (in spirit... I mean, probably I would word it differently)

I don't think that this definition suffers from ambiguities as claimed by Peter.
I didn't mean to argue for bringing us in a position to be dependent on RDF WG decisions, but rather wanted
to argue that it seems to me that for our purposes Dataset-MERGE instead of Dataset-UNION could be useful.

I will try to find time to check the further implications in the coming few days, I just wanted to ask for the moment

best,
Axel