Re: Draft response to GK-1

On 19/04/11 21:34, Steve Harris wrote:
> Ping?
>
> - Steve

[[
 > Also, I can't find any indication of the interaction between GROUP BY
and ORDER
 > BY, where the ORDER BY specifies a variable not named in the GROUP
BY: is this
 > allowed? If so, what effect does it have (e.g. on GROUP_CONCAT)?

Aggregate operations are performed on a multiset, so order is not
preserved. We have added an ISSUE [1] about whether or not to allow
order for aggregates, which we will address if time allows it before
going to last call. However, since we are on a tight schedule, we might
have to move this feature for a future working group.
]]

Suggest adding:
"""
ORDER BY after a GROUP BY must only use variables exposed by the GROUP.
  Use of non-grouping variable outside the GROUP BY is not legal and a
required syntax error.
"""

For example:

SELECT ?book ?title