Re: some more comments on Fed query doc... (was: Re: Review of Query document (basic federated query))

And one more issue on Federation:

4)

"Definition: Evaluation of a Service Pattern
if IRI is a service name and vars is the set of variables in pattern P
eval(Service(IRI,P)) = Invocation( IRI, Project(P, vars) )
where Invocation(Q, vars) is an implementation of the SPARQL protocol against
endpoint IRI, with a query Q and no default-graph-uri or named-graph-uri (see
SPARQL Protocol [SPROT] section 2.1.1.1). if IRI is not a service name, or
if the service returns an error, evaluation fails."

This is not entirely clear to me... what shall particularly the last sentence say?
Does it say, whenever one service invocation fails, the whole query fails?

This worries me particularly in the context of comment 3) below, i.e. in case of
variables in SERVICE clauses.

I think that rather we want that an error in a service invocation just shall leave
the variables of the service pattern unbound... although it would be good to be able
to track errors of SERVICE, maybe we could have SERVICE and SERVICE SILENT versions...
I am not sure, but I think this still needs discussion?!?

I think we probably should devote some time on cleaning up the Fed issues, or at least
collect them all in one place, in one of the next TCs

Axel