Re: Review of SPARQL 1.1 Uniform HTTP Protocol for Managing RDF Graphs review, rev1.56

On 05/10/10 21:27, Steve Harris wrote:
> I've just read through the document. There's nothing catastrophically wrong, but there are some things that should be looked at. It could be draft published as-is, but I'd like to understand the Major issues first.
>
> Major
>
> §4.3
>
> I'm concerned that "Implementations of this protocol MUST obey the rules specified there regarding the resolution of relative URI references" rules out reverse proxies as implementations of this protocol. In our experience reverse proxies are commonly used infront of SPARQL endpoints to provide load balancing, additional security, and/or hardening. From the clients p.o.v. the proxy is the SPARQL endpoint.

The use of xml:base [1] applies to the XML element it is an attribute
of.  In XML, and Turtle, the base URI can change during parsing.

-------------
PUT /rdf-graphs/service/?graph=1  HTTP/1.1
Host: example.com

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
   <rdf:RDF
      xml:base='http://example2.com/rdf-graphs/employees/'
      xmlns:rdf='...'>
</rdf:RDF>

Here, it starts as http://example.com/rdf-graphs/service/?graph=1, and
that is in-scope for determining ?graph=1. The base for the parsing of
the XML document (the external base):
http://example.com/rdf-graphs/service/?graph=1

It changes inside rdf:RDF element to
http://example2.com/rdf-graphs/employees/