Re: Views on the outcomes of F2F

On 11 Nov 2009, at 09:34, Andy Seaborne wrote:
> On 10/11/2009 21:45, Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
>> Andy Seaborne wrote:

>>> sense -
>>> the
>>>
>>> We have now have had feedback that the assumption that SELECT
>>> expression syntax is not sufficient. We can respond to comments.
>>>
>>> I believe Holger is asking for nothing more than syntactic sugar.
>>> Jeremy's syntactic conversion from LET to SELECT expressions shows
>>> what they want and it's a syntactic rewrite even SPARQL syntax to
>>> SPARQL syntax.
>>
>> I couldn't follow the transformation. Can you explain it, please? I'm
>> trying to figure out if it matches what is implemented in Open Anzo
>> or not.
>
> If that would help the WG; I'll write a separate email.  The
> clarification should come from the commenter, rather than my
> interpretation, but I'm sure we can ask them to comment on the
> description.
>
> It would also be helpful if you describe what OpenAnzo does. (ditto
> other impls).  I hope that Steve will provide the concrete example
> of what he thinks Holger is asking for and any examples that concern
> him.

So, my reading of Holger's request is that he would like [my examples,
not his]

data:

SELECT *
WHERE {
   LET(?x := ?y)
   OPTIONAL { <s> <p> ?y }
}

?x = unbound, ?y = <o>

SELECT *
WHERE {
   OPTIONAL { <s> <p> ?y }
   LET(?x := ?y)
}

?y = <o>, ?x = <o>

i.e. a true assignment as BASIC programmers would understand it.
However, based on what Lee has said I think I just got the wrong end
of the stick.

I got the impression that Jeremy was in favour of a macro-substitution-
like operator, based on what he said at the F2F. He provided a
definition by email, but I wasn't able to follow it, so again, the
wrong end of the stick is a definite possibility.

Steve Harris, CTO, Garlik Limited
2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD