Re: ACTION-115: Note on proxy graph URI

On 13 Oct 2009, at 08:34, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:

> On Monday 12. October 2009 18:45:33 Chimezie Ogbuji wrote:
>> Ok.  I was using the term proxy to tease out whether we were talking
>> about URI 'aliases' or service endpoints
>
> Tihihi! I'd say that was a successful tease :-)
>
>> In which case, I believe this settles the issue of whether this
>> induces
>> good 'HTTP behavior', since presumably you can use all the verbs
>> (PUT/POST/GET/DELETE) uniformly on these alias URIs as though you
>> were
>> using the IRI of the graph directly. In addition, conditional GETs
>> would
>> work as expected.
>
> Indeed. My argument was that one cannot infer the "original" graph
> URI from
> the "proxy" URI due to the opacity axiom, which still holds true, I
> believe, but if we treat them as equivalent aliases, this becomes
> irrelevant.

That assumes that there is an "original" graph.

If I import http://dbpedia.org/data/BMW_M50.rdf into my store and run
a few INSERTs on it to add some extra annotations I'd like, then
there's no original graph to refer back to, as the local
http://localhost/data/?graph=http%3A%2F%2Fdbpedia.org%2Fdata%2FBMW_M50.rdf
will return different triples from http://dbpedia.org/data/BMW_M50.rdf

Similarly if you import stuff to the graph http://myapp.example/
data.rdf, you can't dereference that, so it's not really an alias for
a URI in that sense.

But, I'm not sure if that's the sense in which you meant alias.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD