Re: ACTION-115: Note on proxy graph URI

On 11 Oct 2009, at 17:10, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> Yup, our discussion may very well not be. I would really like to
> have a
> straw poll on the topic before we proceed any further. But then, I
> understand that people want a FPWD ASAP...

Writing it into the FPWD doesn't commit us to including it in the PR.

> If we do have enough time for a straw poll, I suggest voting over the
> following questions, separately:
>
> 1) The HTTP Update protocol is required to be RESTful. (+1, yes; 0,
> preferred, but not required; -1, it could be anything)
>
> 2) The protocol must specify how to use POST, PUT, GET and DELETE on
> a URI
> identifying information resource graph. (+1, yes, required; 0,
> optional;
> -1, WG shouldn't spend time on it)
>
> 3) The protocol must specify how to use manipulate a graph with a
> proxy
> graph identifier. (+1, yes, required; 0, optional; -1, WG shouldn't
> spend
> time on it)
>
> They can be voted on separately, if it is voted in 1) that it must be
> RESTful and we can't find a way to do it in 3), we must drop it,
> after a
> thorough investigation.

If there's a strawpoll that comes out in favour of 1) and 3), and it
turns out their incompatible, then we'd have to make a decision down
the line as to which principle was more important.

I have a strong concern around deciding that "it must be RESTful", as
no-one in this group really seems to know the exact criteria for some
API to be RESTful. Particularly there seems to be no hard cutoff
between RESTful and non-RESTful, which means the "RESTfulness" of any
design is likely to be highly subjective.

I think that any strawpoll should be "advice to the editor", to
influence the design, rather that trying to rigidly determine if
something is or is not RESTful.

Steve Harris
Garlik Limited, 2 Sheen Road, Richmond, TW9 1AE, UK
+44(0)20 8973 2465  http://www.garlik.com/
9AD