Re: FEATURE: SPARQLX

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/SPARQLX
>
> There are two flavor of proposal on the table:
>
>     The old SPARQLX proposal:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0414.html
>     An RDF based proposal:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg-comments/2009Mar/0010.html
>

> I personally do not find an RDF/XML syntax to meet my requirements
> (since RDF/XML doesn't play that well with the XML toolchain), though an
> RDF based syntax may be desirable for other reasons.

I have two concerns with the SPARQLX proposed feature:

1) Is it currently implemented anywhere? Looking through the old
discussions it sounds like Kendall was going to be implementing it; do
you know if he did? do you know if anyone else did?

2) As the query language evolves, so too will the XML syntax have to
evolve. This puts a small burden on any people extending the language in
the future, but more than that, what's the latest state-of-the-art with
respect to evolving XML schemas? Does extending a schema as the language
extends break backwards compatibility for tools that validate against an
older schema? (As you can probably tell, I'm not much of an XML-head, so
apologies if this question is non-sensical.)

(FWIW, while these are concerns, they're both mild concerns. On the flip
side, I've been asked about XML serializations of SPARQL repeatedly in
the past, so I think there is sufficient demand for it.)

To me, the RDF syntax proposed by Holger has the benefit that there is
one implementation of it and the start of a 'specification', but I
haven't heard much clamor elsewhere for an RDF serialization.

Just my initial thoughts in advance of discussing this on next week's
telecon.

Lee