Re: DESCRIBE ENDPOINT

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Steve Harris<steve.harris@garlik.com> wrote:
> On 30 Jun 2009, at 18:23, Axel Polleres wrote:
<snip/>
>>> On a slightly separate note, the "DESCRIBE <endpoint-URI>" form may be
>>> capable of referring to descriptions on other endpoints. May that's
>>> something we want to consider (or to exclude).
>>
>> yeah, that makes it look appealing somehow.
>
> On the downside, you have to know that the endpoint speaks SPARQL before you
> can ask that query with any expectation of getting a sensible response.

That presumes you are only making calls to the server through HTTP.
While this is certainly very common, there are numerous cases of
communication through an API as well (eg. Jena sans Joseki). In that
case you know you have SPARQL, but you may not know what the
capabilities are.

> With a HTTP header based method however, we can provide both forward and
> backward compatibility.

Certainly, and I fully support an HTTP call (not necessarily header
based, but we're still to get through that discussion). I'll be
implementing it as HTTP regardless of it ending up in the standard, so
I'm definitely hoping it makes it in.  :-)

Regards,
Paul