Re: Reflections on Update

Hi,

Le 15 mai 09 à 11:01, Seaborne, Andy a écrit :

> [...]
[...]
>> So that's file: URLs. What about http: ?
>>
>> If we are using the http protocol in the URL  to be loaded then
>> everything is being transferred by http protocol anyway, so why
>> confuse the issue by including a "command" in the transfer? It also
>> makes it awkward for the client that wants to send a file to the
>> server, but doesn't have an HTTP server on hand to respond to an HTTP
>> request for the file to be loaded. (This particular scenario also
>> requires two connections, when one would suffice)
>
> The number of web hops the data takes is important.  With LOAD <url>
> the data flows from the URL to the server, and does not flow via the
> client.
>
> A use case I have in mind is the ability to collect data from a
> number of places with an update script of
>
> LOAD <url1>
> LOAD <url2>
> LOAD <url3>

That's the approach I'm using in doap:store [1].
I get the XML feed of latest DOAP documents from PingTheSemanticWeb
[2] each hour and then simply use LOAD <url> for each of them.
It is really straightforward to collect data and maintain stores
thanks to the LOAD command

>> I'd like to see a standard for POSTing a file to a graph on a server,
>> as this can be done easily with code or even a web form.
>> Personally, I
>> also like having a command that does a load (we have one in Mulgara)
>> but the issues that I described make it seem difficult to standardize
>> in a way that will be suitable for any type of configuration.
>>
>> Please feel free to correct me on any of the above points. :-)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul Gearon
>
> Good point about the use case for a simple POST-data and POST-from-
> form which look compelling so we're being to tease out the
> requirements for update.
> 	Andy

I think Sesame works that way (using POST [3]), and also YARS (Using
PUT [4]).

Alex.

[1] http://doapstore.org/
[2] http://pingthesemanticweb.com/