Re: The smaller bites (was Re: Lee's feature proposal)

On Monday 04 May 2009 20:39:14 Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> So my question - for every feature to add to the WG schedule, what would
> you remove or deprioritize?

Well, since forward-chaining and add triples to the model has worked
excellently for us so far, I could drop the OWL stuff and service
descriptions are not too interesting either, but I do not advocate this
solution, as it is beside my point.

Both SurfaceSyntax and FunctionLibrary are on Lee's priority list as "time
permit" features, so what I am suggesting is a process to do this in a way
that will maximise community involvement and taking the burden off of the
shoulders of the WG as a whole.

My suggestion implies that there cannot not just be a wishlist of items to do,
someone has to actually accept the risk of committing time to a feature that
may not be accepted by the WG. Thus, there is a very high threshold to submit
anything.

The WG is also free respond to a submission with "this is not ready for WG
review, you need to do more work". Consequently, when a feature is accepted
by the WG for review, a lot of work has allready been done. If it has come
that far, the WG should accept the feature if it doesn't come into conflict
with overarching principles of the language. Note again that this process
only concerns SurfaceSyntax and FunctionLibrary, not the rest of the work we
are doing here. The assumption is that these things are not very intrusive
and costs little to implement.

So, this is not a rubberstamp process, it offloads a lot of risk onto each
champion, but rewards them by giving them a pretty good chance of it getting
in if they complete the task.

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001