Re: [limit per resource] implementation experience and/or concerns?

On Friday 17 April 2009 06:34:13 Lee Feigenbaum wrote:
> (just looking to get a bit of background discussion in advance of
> tuesday, to save time on the teleconference)
>
> http://www.w3.org/2009/sparql/wiki/Feature:LimitPerResource

So, this is our main feature. If I had only one vote this would be it. :-)

> LIMIT, in SPARQL, normally just limits the total number of results
> returned. Combined with DISTINCT, it limits the total number of distinct
> tuples returned. Combined with an aggregate/grouping extension, it can
> limit the total number of groups returned.

Yes, but that's only for SELECTs, while we work mainly with DESCRIBE queries,
so it has wider applicability than that.

> 1/ does anyone implement this in SPARQL?

Not that I'm aware of.

> 2/ does anyone implement this elsewhere (e.g. in SQL)?

It isn't very relevant to SQL, since SQL databases typically deal with fixed
schemas and uniform data. Since one of the main reasons why people go to RDF
and SPARQL is its usefulness in dealing with heterogenous data, this is a
feature that would distinguishing it from the rest, so in that sense I don't
see this question as very relevant. :-)

Kind regards

Kjetil Kjernsmo
--
Senior Knowledge Engineer
Mobile: +47 986 48 234

|  SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE  |

Computas AS  PO Box 482, N-1327 Lysaker | Phone:+47 6783 1000 | Fax:+47 6783
1001