Re: allow implicitly unbound variables in SPARQL results?

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:38:47 -0500, Kendall Clark wrote:
> >compromise. (The flippant side of me wants to point out that the
> >results
> >format would
> >be more efficient if it only used one-letter element names, as well.)
>
> But not relevantly more efficient, Lee. Jeen's numbers, IIRC, show
> that option c is 2x more efficient than LC design. How much
> efficiency gain would one-letter element names buy? I'd be
> *astonished* if it were more than 10%. No way it's 2x. (Though if you
> prove me wrong, I will buy you a beer!)

[swh@ereshkegal ~]$ ts-query 'SELECT ?z WHERE {?x ?y ?z}' > foo.xml
[swh@ereshkegal ~]$ ts-query 'SELECT ?z WHERE {?x ?y ?z}' > bar.xml
[swh@ereshkegal ~]$ vi bar.xml
[swh@ereshkegal ~]$ wc -c *.xml
17125 /tmp/bar.xml
25774 /tmp/foo.xml
[swh@ereshkegal ~]$ bc
100*42899/25774
166

Is 66% enough for a free beer? ;)

c.f.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/1char-el/foo.xml
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~swh/1char-el/bar.xml

- Steve

PS Just incase theres any doubt, I'm not advocating 1 character element
   names!