Re: IRI references rewording

Kendall Clark wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:41:20AM -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>

>>>SPARQL is defined in terms of absolute IRIs (this includes the fragment
>>>identifier).
>>
>>I don't find that sentence helpful. I don't think the term "SPARQL"
>>is defined anywhere in the document. Er... actually, I see...
>>
>> SPARQL is a query language for getting information from
>> such RDF graphs.
>>
>>which seems odd, since SPARQL has both a protocol and a query language.
>>It seems like the 1st occurrence of the acronym should be expanded.
>

> Since I too feel like being pedantic today, I'll point out that I raised
> this issue a few times and was rebuffed, for reasons I never entirely
> understood. I don't think it's especially helfpul for the query language to
> squat the acronym/name.

As agreed, the first use of the term SPARQL makes it quite clear:

"""
This document describes the query language part of the SPARQL Protocol And RDF
Query Language for easy access to RDF stores.
"""

The second use is an <abbr>

Since "SPARQL is a query language and protocol", then "SPARQL is a query
language" is a true statement.

Use of the term "squat" is unnecessary.

	Andy