Re: IRI references rewording

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 11:08 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
> I have changed the text in the gramamr section for IRI references to
> explicitly say which rules are required to generated valid IRIs
>
> """
> IRI References
>
> SPARQL is defined in terms of absolute IRIs (this includes the fragment
> identifier). IRI references formed by rule Q_IRI_REF and by rule QName (after
> prefix expansion) must be valid according to RFC 3987 [RFC3987] and RFC 3986
> [RFC3986].

That has the same problem; it's vacuuous. Anything that's an IRI
reference is already valid.

>  They are converted to absolute IRIs according to RFC 3987 and RFC
> 3986, using the base IRI defined by the BASE clause if present in the query.
> """

That's redundant w.r.t. some text under Query Term Syntax
("SPARQL provides an abbreviation mechanism for IRIs ...") Please
either delete it or add forward and backward references.

I suggest:

IRI References

References formed by rule  Q_IRI_REF must be conform to the
generic syntax of IRI references in
section 2.2.  ABNF for IRI References and IRIs[RFC3987].
For example, the
Q_IRI_REF <abc#def> may occur in a SPARQL query string, but
the Q_IRI_REF <abc##def> must not.

References formed by rule QName (after prefix expansion) must conform
to the generic syntax of (absolute) IRIs.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E