Re: Roman Numeral test Was: Bug: "A value disjunction that encounters a type error on only one branch will return the result of evaluating the other branch."

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 09:24:54AM -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:

> Here I understand Yosi coded up cwm's SPARQL implementation with
> special SPARQL-compatible builtins written so as to match the spec.
> That doesn't mean that the spec is right or sensible or logical.  :-)

I have spoken with TimBL and I believe that changing the text

[[
A value disjunction that encounters a type error on only one branch
will return the result of evaluating the other branch.
]]

[[
A value disjunction that encounters a type error on only one branch
will return TRUE if the other branch is TRUE and an error if the other
branch is FALSE.
]]

will satisfy him.

The truth table below describes the changes:

left	  right	result
T	  T	T
T	  F	T
F	  T	T
F	  F	F
T	  E	T
F	  E	F/E	Was FALSE, now Error
E	  T	T
E	  F	F/E	Was FALSE, now Error
E	  E	E

I find either easy to implement. Tim's motivation is to give the rule

  F || X ==> X
  False OR X evaluates to X

priority. Opinions?

http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/#func-logical-or