Negative tests :[Was Re: rq23 grammar update]

Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 16:23 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:

>>Changes:
>>
>>1/ Triples rule changes : this is the last thing that stopped it being LL(1)
>

> When discussing this with yosi, I discovered that
>
> 	SELECT ?x WHERE {.}
>
> was in the language of the LC grammar. Does this new grammar allow that?

It wasn't supposed to!

> I sorta prefer that it does not, but I think we owe the world a test
> case to show that we made the change on purpose.
>
> Volunteers?

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jena/ARQ/testing/ARQ/Syntax/Syntax-SPARQL3/syn-bad-03.rq?rev=1.1&view=markup

As this is a negative test, it can't be expressed in the current DAWG
testing vocabulary.  [The positive syntax tests are faked by having an empty
data graph and answers so the query really must executed which isn't a
perfect test of just syntax).

We have a few in a directory called NegativeSyntax (was this ever
announced?) which I grabbed but to mechanise testing, I didn't want to reply
on the manifest location - I give tests a type as described in:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JulSep/0246

Example from:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jena/ARQ/testing/ARQ/Syntax/Syntax-SPARQL3/manifest.ttl?rev=1.2&view=markup

@prefix rdf:    <http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#> .
@prefix rdfs:	<http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .
@prefix mf:     <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/test-manifest#>  .
@prefix mfx:    <http://jena.hpl.hp.com/2005/05/test-manifest-extra#> .
@prefix qt:     <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/tests/test-query#> .

<>  rdf:type mf:Manifest ;
     rdfs:comment "Syntax tests 4" ;
     mf:entries
     (
       [  mf:name    "syn-01.rq" ;
          rdf:type   mfx:TestSyntax ;	## Positive syntax test
          mf:action  <syn-01.rq> ;
       ]
	. . . .
       [  mf:name    "syn-bad-01.rq" ;
          rdf:type   mfx:TestBadSyntax ;	## Negative syntax test
          mf:action  <syn-bad-01.rq> ;
       ]
	. . . .
         ... Other DAWG negative tests incorporated ....
       [  mf:name    "bnode-dot.rq" ;
          rdf:type   mfx:TestBadSyntax ;	## Negative syntax test
          mf:action  <bnode-dot.rq> ;
       ]
     ) .

<snip/>