Re: [Fwd: SPARQL: Backslashes in string literals]

On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 14:36 +0100, Seaborne, Andy wrote:
[...]
> > Turtle follows N-Triples and picks just uppercase for hex \u & \U
> > escapes (I think there was something in the older charmod drafts about
> > having just one way to encode it).  I'd prefer to follow that [0-9]
> > [A-F].
>
> Can't find anything in current charmod.

There are several requirements/guidelines near
http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/REC-charmod-20050215/#def-char-escape

e.g.

C042  [S]  Specifications SHOULD NOT invent a new escaping mechanism if
an appropriate one already exists.

and here's one that might bite a little harder:

C046 ... In particular, if a character is acceptable in identifiers and
comments, then its escaped form should also be acceptable.

so charmod says this should work:

 SELECT ?foo\x0045bar WHERE { ?foo\x0045bar dc:title ?xyz }.

This is starting to look like a new issue... I was thinking of
saying this is re-opening punctuationSyntax, but I think it's different.

> Unless there is a single convention that will not catch people out, I prefer to
> leave both in - it's not clear to me that there is a convention (I write mine in
> upper case.)

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E